Friday, October 26, 2012

Taco Soup


Growing up, my mom always made the effort to ask my sister and me what meal we would like to have for dinner. Grace and I had our usual meals we would request but one of my favorite was tacos. Taco night was a favorite of mine for a couple of reasons, we would all try and see who could not make a mess on their plate because lord knows we were usually messy eaters that night and because it was not often a meal we would have, but when we did it always seemed special. 

Now that I am in a house of my own I have been trying to come up with a list of soups I can make and store for the winter or heat up for dinner one night I do not want to cook. One night I was making tacos and thought taco soup would be a great one I could add to my list. So I took the basics of tacos with the meat the seasoning and thought about what I could put on a taco. I decided that lettuce was definitely a no, no to put into a soup so I had to think outside the box. 

After much thinking and experimenting in the kitchen I have finally come up with my Taco Soup. I have plenty stored in my freezer for a cold winter’s night.
Hope you all enjoy!!

Emily’s Taco Soup
1 lbs. ground lean beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1 cloves minced garlic
1 packet of taco seasoning
1 can sweet yellow corn
2 cans of beans (you can anything you prefer…I used 1 can black bean and 1 can kidney beans)
2 cans tomato sauce

1) In a skillet, add your beef, onion and garlic. While your meat is browning the onions and garlic will sauté. Once the beef is browned throughout, drain off the excess grease.

2) In a Dutch oven or stock pot, which ever you may have, add tomato sauce, taco seasoning, yellow corn, beans, and beef mixture.

3) Bring to a simmer on medium heat for about 30 to 45 minutes.

* Garnish with your choice of shredded cheese, sour cream, salsa, or tortilla chips. *

**Note: If you are daring and want, you can add a can of Rotel to the mix for a good kick**



No comments:

Post a Comment