Wednesday, January 9, 2013

How To: Keep Asparagus Fresh


Growing up, asparagus was a vegetable we did not have often for dinner. On the occasion my mother would buy some, we always seemed to eat it right away or else it would spoil in the fridge. Well I am here to tell you a little secret on how to keep your asparagus fresh, some of you may know this but some may not.

The helpful tip came from a very special lady my family stayed with when our house flooded back in 2010; Mama Betty is her name. She shared this secret with my mother who then passed it down to me.

The secret: You stick the woody/ fibrous ends of the asparagus in water.
  

Simple I know but you must change out the water every couple of days to help keep the asparagus fresh.

Here’s what I do to keep my asparagus fresh.  Take a tall, slender vase or bowl and fill it up with about an inch or two of cold water. With the bunch of fresh asparagus you purchased at the grocery store, clip the ends off about a ¼ of an inch, place in water and put vase/bowl in fridge. You can keep your asparagus for up to a week after purchase in the water.

**Be sure to change out the water every couple of days to ensure the freshness of your asparagus**

No comments:

Post a Comment